The 15,000 square feet Sanford-Chamberlain-Albers Building is one of the oldest mercantile buildings in downtown Knoxville and is a survivor of the Great Knoxville Fire of 1897. Owned for several decades by the same family, the building has been renovated into three levels of apartments and a retail space on Gay Street. Each residential level has three apartments including a top level two-story plus roof deck unit.
“5,” a contemporary restaurant, occupies the main street level retail space.
MHM worked with the Tennessee State Historical Properties Office and Knox Heritage on the design of the renovations.